Community Rules & Etiquette
Thank you for being part of the OAH community. To ensure the best possible experience for all members, we have established some basic guidelines for participation.
By joining and using this community, you agree that you have read and will follow these rules and guidelines. You also agree to reserve discussions, shared files, and content to that best suited to the medium. Through the OAH community, you can solicit the advice of your peers, benefit from their experience, and participate in an ongoing conversation. Questions should be directed to our member services department via the Contact Us link on this site.
Please take a moment to acquaint yourself with these important guidelines. If you have questions, please contact the membership department. In order to preserve an environment that encourages both civil and fruitful dialogue, the OAH reserves the right to suspend or terminate membership in this community for anyone who violates these rules.
- Be respectful of all community members. Focus on the content of posts and not on the people making them. Please extend the benefit of the doubt to newer guests and members.
- Our community should be used to share successes, challenges, constructive feedback, questions, and goals rather than products or services that you provide. Commercial messages and advertisements for goods and services are not allowed and will be deleted.
- Use caution when discussing products. Information posted on the discussion groups and in the libraries is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials are strictly prohibited. Do not post anything that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
- Respect intellectual property. Only post content that you have personally created or have permission to use and have properly attributed to the content creator.
- When posting documents, please remember to indicate if the item is not available for reuse/sharing.
- Post your message or documents only to the most appropriate communities. This helps ensure all messages receive the best response by eliminating "noise."
- Please do not share discussion posts or replies in private communities without the consent of the original author(s).
- The OAH reserves the right to reject any message for any reason.
Discussion Group Etiquette
- All messages need to include a signature block. Please include, at minimum, your name and affiliation or title.
- State concisely and clearly the topic of your comments in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject.
- If you are replying to a long post, please only include the relevant section in your response. Your response should appear above the question to which you are responding.
- Send messages such as "thanks for the information" or "me, too" to individuals, not to the entire list. Do this by using the "Reply to Sender" link in every message.
- Do not send administrative messages, such as “remove me from the list,” to the group. Instead, use the web interface to change your settings or to remove yourself from a list. If you are changing email addresses, you do not need to remove yourself from the list and rejoin under your new email address. Simply change your settings. If you need assistance, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
OAH Harassment Policy information
The guiding principles of the OAH's new Harassment Policy are in effect for our virtual Community interactions, as well as in-person interactions at OAH sponsored events. This policy was adopted by the OAH Executive Board on December 23, 2019.
The OAH is committed to fostering an environment free from discrimination, harassment, retaliation, and other forms of sexual misconduct. Our organization’s collective professional and intellectual pursuits can only be realized when we treat one another with dignity and respect. To this end, OAH prohibits discrimination, harassment, retaliation, and other forms of misconduct on the basis of sex, gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation. The protections and prohibitions in this policy extend to any members and participants, including employees, contractors, vendors, volunteers, and guests taking part in OAH-sponsored events and activities. All members and participants, including employees, contractors, vendors, volunteers, and guests, shall engage in professional and respectful behavior and preserve common standards of professionalism. The full policy can be read here.
Members and participants, including employees, contractors, vendors, volunteers, and guests, should be aware that their home institution’s policies (such as Title IX) may require them to report allegations of sexual discrimination, harassment, retaliation or other forms of sexual misconduct involving people affiliated with their institution.
The Legal Stuff
This site is provided as a service for the members of the Organization of American Historians (OAH). The OAH is not responsible for the opinions and information posted on this site by others. We disclaim all warranties with regard to information posted on this site, whether posted by the OAH or any third party; this disclaimer includes all implied warranties of merchantability and fitness. In no event shall the OAH be liable for any special, indirect, or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data, or profits, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted on this site.
Do not post any defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials. Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. By posting material, the posting party warrants and represents that he or she owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner. In addition, the posting party grants the OAH and users of this site the nonexclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such information or other material.
Messages should not be posted if they encourage or facilitate members to arrive at any agreement that either expressly or impliedly leads to price fixing, a boycott of another's business, or other conduct intended to illegally restrict free trade. Messages that encourage or facilitate an agreement about the following subjects are inappropriate: prices, discounts, or terms or conditions of sale; salaries; profits, profit margins, or cost data; market shares, sales territories, or markets; allocation of customers or territories; or selection, rejection, or termination of customers or suppliers.
The OAH does not actively monitor the site for inappropriate postings and does not on its own undertake editorial control of postings. However, in the event that any inappropriate posting is brought to the attention of the OAH, we will take all appropriate action.
The OAH reserves the right to terminate access to any user who does not abide by these guidelines.